Venues in Silver City, New Mexico (38)
Silver City is a town in Grant County, New Mexico, in the United States. As of the 2000 census, the town population was 10,545. It is the county seat of Grant County. The city is the home of Western New Mexico University.Read More
First Presbyterian Church
Western New Mexico University
Asian Airfares Group
Silver City Public Library
Silver City Museum
El Paisano Restaurant
Black Dragon Kickboxing Club
Papa John's Pizza
Rose Valley RV Ranch
Motel 6 Silver City
Gila House Hotel / Gallery 400
History of Silver City
The valley which is now the site of Silver City once served as an Apache campsite. With the arrival of the Spanish, a settlement developed and became known as San Vicente de la Ciénega (St. Vincent of the Marsh). With a wave of American prospectors in the 1860s, the pace of change increased, and Silver City was founded in the summer of 1870. The founding of the town occurred shortly after the discovery of silver ore deposits at Chloride Flats, on the hill just west of the farm of Captain John M. Bullard and his brother James. Following the silver strike, Captain Bullard laid out the streets of the Silver City, and a bustling tent city quickly sprang to life. Although the trajectory of Silver City's development was to be different from the hundreds of other mining boom towns established during the same period, Captain Bullard himself never lived to see even the beginnings of permanence, as he was killed in a confrontation with Apache raiders less than a year later, on February 23, 1871.
The town's violent crime rate was substantial during the 1870s, Grant County Sheriff Harvey Whitehill was elected in 1874, and gained a sizable reputation for his abilities at controlling trouble. In 1875, Whitehill became the first lawman to arrest Billy the Kid, known at the time as William Bonney. Whitehill arrested him twice, both times for theft in Silver City, and would later claim that Bonney was a likeable kid, whose stealing was a result more of necessity than criminality. His mother is buried in the town cemetery. In 1878 the town hired its first town marshal, "Dangerous Dan" Tucker, who had been working as a deputy for Whitehill since 1875.
Mrs. Lettie B. Morrill, in a talk given to the Daughters of the American Revolution chapter in Silver City on September 19, 1908, stated, "John Bullard was placed in the first grave dug in Silver City, having been killed while punishing the Indians for an attack upon the new town; the brothers were Prospectors about the country for many years. The last one left for the old home about 1885, saying, ‘It is only a matter of time until the Indians get me if I stay here.’" It was also known as the starting point for many expeditions hunting treasures such as the Lost Adams Diggings.
In 1893 New Mexico Normal School was established. Up until 1963 it was known as New Mexico Western State Teachers College. It later was renamed to Western New Mexico University in 1963. Today, WNMU offers 8 graduate degrees, 41 baccalaureate degrees, and 18 associate degree and certificate programs. The WNMU athletic team is referred to as the Mustangs. Recognition for the university includes the 2003 Zia Award, the 2005 Best Practice Award (for the School of Education), the 2006 Chamber of Commerce Large Business of the Year Award, the 2008 Piñon Award, and the 2008 Compañero Award.
The town had originally been designed with the streets running north to south. The town was also built in the path of normal water runoff. Businesses sprang up and people learned to deal with the inconveniences of the summer rain. Silver City was built with high sidewalks in the downtown area to accommodate high flood waters. Meanwhile, uncontrolled grazing thinned down plant life on hills surrounding the town. During the night of July 21, 1895, a heavy wall of water rushed through the downtown business district, leaving a trail of destruction. A ditch 55 feet (17 m) lower than the original street level was created in what was once known as Main Street. Businesses on Main Street began using their back doors on Bullard Street as main entrances and eventually, were permanently used as the new front entrances. To this day, the incorrect odd/even addressing conventions on the east side of Bullard Street are a reminder that the buildings were addressed on Main Street originally, not Bullard Street. Main Street now ends near the back of the Silver City Police Station, where the Big Ditch Park begins.
The Anasazi Indians once lived in the area. They predated the Apaches by several hundred years. Pot shards can still be seen at various sites throughout the surrounding area. Beads, arrowhead pieces and pot shards were once visible, scattered all over the hill above the old hospital. Early cowboys often used the exposed ancient pots for target practice and many archeological artifacts were sadly destroyed. This happened during the time when major conflicts occurred between the Apache Indians and local settlers, when anything "Indian" was considered something to be destroyed.Read More
How to have a great event in Silver City
Ready to have a wedding, birthday or special event in Silver City? We have more Silver City wedding sites available to browse, compare and explore than anywhere on the internet. We currently have over 750,000 venues on our website, 38 of which reside in Silver City.
Selecting the perfect Silver City locations for weddings or venues in Silver City is critical to the success of every wedding, party, special event, or corporate event. The journey of finding a wedding site or event venue can be a difficult and time consuming task requiring a significant amount of time an effort. VenueHelper.com provides on online Silver City locations for weddings / event venue directory to make finding Silver City locations for weddings or event venue easier. Here is our checklist of things to consider when selecting the perfect event venues in Silver City.